About Me

Staci
I am a Christian mother, wife, and daughter who loves shopping, drinking coffee, talking, watching tv, running, biking, crafting, and spending time with family and friends. This blog contains my ramblings...
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, June 24, 2011

To Teach Is To Learn

(Blog Challenge: Something you have learned)

I have learned a lot of things in my life. Some lessons easier than others but all most definitely worth learning. Teaching, though, has opened my eyes to a whole new world of lessons. Some funny, some sad, some completely monumental. Kids are smart. Much smarter than people give them credit for. They think about deep things, they contemplate life, and they love hard. This year, I learned a lot of lessons. Being a classroom teacher has taught me more about myself and life than any of my previous years as a reading teacher. So here are a few lessons from some of my greatest teachers....my students.

Bullies suck. They make life difficult, they can ruin a perfectly good day, and every single school has them. We definitely don't do enough in the way of educating students about bullying.

A hug can turn a day around. My kids saw me laugh and they saw me cry...numerous times. When a child sees another person cry, they do what they know best. They give hugs...and darn good ones at that.

Farting is funny. It's a bodily function adults don't talk about. But kids do. CONSTANTLY! I learned that kids can giggle about a fart for HOURS! The look on a child's face when this happens is priceless. That is enough to send me into hysterics.

READING IS FUN! I truly believe my kids walked away knowing this. I wanted to teach them that and in turn they showed me what pure joy in reading is.

When all else fails, smile. It is contagious.

0 comments: