About Me

Staci
I am a Christian mother, wife, and daughter who loves shopping, drinking coffee, talking, watching tv, running, biking, crafting, and spending time with family and friends. This blog contains my ramblings...
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Days Gone By

(Blog Challenge: Something you miss)

Today, while riding in the car with my mom, we were discussing my generation. I was asking questions about what it was like when my mom and dad were first married and having children. During those times, couples focused on getting a starter home, having kids, saving money if they could, and just being a family. We were talking about that now, young adults get out of college and expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. They want the nicest cars, the nicest houses, the nicest toys, the nicest clothes...you get what I'm saying. I was puzzled as to why so many people think they don't need to work for what they get or that they should be able to buy whatever they want and not pay their bills (I'm ranting a little....if you don't agree with me, that's fine). We were also talking about that so many people today ask what is wrong with my generation yet the people asking it are the ones who raised this generation. Though, on this note, we discussed that the people asking that question are often asking it about individuals who are quite different than the ones they raised. Does that make sense?  But I digress.

What I miss is the times when it was about family. When kids played outside and didn't sit in the house and watch TV and play video games. I miss my childhood. Running around town, reading books, playing pretend, and spending time with my family. We ate meals together, we read together, we played together....we talked. I think that is something that is starting to become an anomaly in today's society. Doug and I have decided we need to make it a point to do these things with our children. To turn off the TV, to put down our phones, to go outside, and to enjoy each other's company. All too soon, Jani will grow up and these precious years will pass.

So I miss my childhood. I don't think I enjoyed it enough or soaked it in the way I should have. The days go by way too fast.

0 comments: