About Me

Staci
I am a Christian mother, wife, and daughter who loves shopping, drinking coffee, talking, watching tv, running, biking, crafting, and spending time with family and friends. This blog contains my ramblings...
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Over Protection

Jani is mobile...more mobile than I think Doug and I are ready for. This mobility has sent us into babyproofing mode. Something we have not had to do. Last night while looking around the house at the trillion things I would have to fix all I could picture was the scene in Baby Mama where the lady is peeing in the sink because she can't get the lid off the toilet. I was hit with the thought "Can you over protect a baby? Is there a point at which you go too far with the baby proofing?" Do you HAVE to baby proof your house? Can you just watch your child closely, teach them what they can and can't touch, and not have to change anything?

I am totally on board with baby gates. I get that you should protect them from stairs...I placed my order for two on Amazon. They should be here any day. I am also on board with the plugs for outlets. I don't want my daughter sticking a toy in it and getting the shock of her life...literally. But do we have to lock our toilet? And cupboards? And TV cabinet? And refrigerator? And stove? And dishwasher? And put those crazy door handle things on our doors? Because I don't want to. We no longer have any chemicals in our house (thank you Norwex) and I could care less if she plays with my Tupperware. Am I putting my daughter in harm's way if I don't? Anyone can share an opinion with me...parent or not. Because I know when I didn't have children, I still had an opinion. And I hated when I wasn't validated because I didn't have children...but that's a whole other blog post :)

3 comments:

Hay Hay

I'm all for the baby gates & outlet plugs...however, the toilet contraption? No thank you. I completely understand where you're coming from!

imavera

We only have outlet plugs (or the actual childproof outlets)- no other childproofing items. It takes a bit more work since you have to constantly watch, but I don't see anything else as necessary at all.

Kim Patzner

I agree with you we only have a gate up for our stairs to the basement and also plug-in covers (but so far really hasn't been necessary - b/c cadence has never been drawn to them as of yet). But also what I did for bathroom & kitchen under sink doors I used a hair tie and wrapped it around our knobs to keep it from opening all the way or for her to even be able to pull something out. Works so far, until the day comes that she figures out how to pull them off. But other than that I try to teach her not to get into certain stuff like the toliet and so far listens. Oh other tip I have is giving jani her own cupboard with stuff for her to play with in the kitchen...keeps them from getting into other cupboards. Works great and Cadence loves to play in it.
Good luck!